[Rule-list] Installing RPM without docs

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Thu Jun 6 02:57:31 EEST 2002

Marco Fioretti wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 23:15:43 at 11:15:43PM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
> >
> > Sounds good. One maybe quite stupid addition: I don't know what RPM
> > throws out as docs when told so. If it even trashes the man and info
> > pages there should be three options:
> > What do you want to to about software documentation? [default
> > "recommended"]
> > 1) Remove it completely. Warning: There won't even man pages be
> > left!
> > 2) Recommended usage: Keep only man and info pages.
> > 3) Keep all the documentation.
> >
> Good point...
>
> The problem is that the man pages of several commands (look at mutt)
> are little more than pointers to files in /usr/share/docs, or
> something like that. It's hard to figure it out once and for all...
>
> Don't have a definite answer (or opinion...). I was playing with the
> concept of placing all the docs (man/info page included) on a CD
> and hacking the man/info programs to say: "please insert the cdrom
> first" when you type "man somecommand", but this is definitely not for
> now...

Maybe I should have been more specific...
1) means use the RPM command to strip all the docs
2) means use the RULE post install routines to remove docs *we*
   consider unnecessary
3) means use the RULE post install scripts, BUT keep the docs! This
   means all the post install scripts which want to delete docs
   must first look into the environment variable (i.e. RULE_DOCS)
   and not delete docs if set to "keep_docs".

Maybe we should provide a sample or skeleton postinstall skript to
ensure every script does follow our requirements.

Best egards,
Martin Stricker
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi
Red Hat Linux 7.2 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/