[Rule-list] Re:modified scripts Suggestion: Keep mount info

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 6 22:10:31 EEST 2002

Hi Chris, and all.

>From: "chris clark" <clarkcd at myrealbox.com>
>
>While you're tweaking, how about keeping mount info?

That's a great idea!

>If I recall correctly, during installs, the
>  partitioning stage forgets mount points. Is this unavoidable?

I don't know about normal circumstances, but I'm sure that we can do
something about it. I could put a script on the second disk, then ask the
user to execute it. The script would then add it to install.conf, by using
cat, grep, and/or grep -v.

>Ideally, I'd like it to be able to detect the old
>mount points whenever I install over an existing
>linux system, but if that's impractical, is it at least
>possible to remember long enough to back up
>and reallocate partitions during install?
>
>When installing over an existing linux system, why
>not attempt to read /etc/fstab?

That would be a good idea. I don't like repartitioning and formating either.
It may be wise to format to get rid of old info, but we shouldn't have to do
it over and over.

>we could try mounting each linux partition as if it were either / or etc,
>and look for fstab.
>
>Is this a reasonable idea?

I'm not sure if this addresses your concern, but Michael already made use of
the pivot_root command and chroot command. These are used after mounting the
hard drive(s).

I'll keep a copy of your suggestions until I add them to my version of the
installer.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong