[Rule-list] We are 100!

Ed Blackman rule-list at edgewood.to
Thu Jul 18 21:55:26 EEST 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 08:57:37PM +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> Since we are at it, and to better know each other, may I ask to
> everybody who subscribed during last month to introduce him or
> herself, submit proposal and/or explain what is expected from this
> project?

I'm interested in this project because I have several limited purpose
machines (firewall, internal DNS servers, low-volume mail server,
etc).  I don't want to have unneeded packages on these systems,
because of limited amounts of disk space and security concerns.  At
the same time, I don't want to have to track multiple distributions
for bug and security fixes.

I run Redhat on my other machines, so a project that uses Redhat as a
base, but doesn't require the bloat that a regular Redhat install
does, sounded ideal to me.

I've solved the problem in the past by a combination of using
downlevel Redhat versions and then upgrading; installing to a large
disk temporarily, then cutting out the bloat and copying the rest over
to the smaller disk; hacking the Redhat install to remove unnecessary
packages from the "Base" list; and recompiling the base packages from
source after altering the spec files to remove documentation from the
file list.

Ed