[Rule-list] EMACS to VI mode converter?

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Mon Jul 22 00:35:31 EEST 2002

Marco Fioretti wrote:

> A lot of guys (including myself) have no religious preferences
> towards VI/VIM or EMACS. They install and use the latter only as an
> editor because it has editing modes not found in its cousin (in my
> case, Jari Aalto's tinytf mode for autonumbering section headers, and
> another utility to do tables and converting them to HTML).

Same for me. I need Emacs for several programming languages.

> Assuming that VI is lighter than EMACS, is it possible/conceivable to
> take an elisp file and convert it to something that will make VI
> behave in the same way (again, in my case, the autonumber thing, and
> all the features of the tinytf.el mode). I am not talking of key
> bindings here, but about real functionality. Such a converter may
> make the biggest tool not needed, in some cases.

You can make Emacs act like vi if you like, by not loosing Emacs'
superior capabilities. But the reverse is impossible - the thing that
makes Emacs that huge is the Lisp interpreter and all the hooks to make
Emacs that versatile. Look inti vim, they have fought hard to include at
least some syntax highlighting into it. Sorry to disappoint you, but I
think it's impossible. But I think we could try to slim down Emacs a
bit.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/