[Rule-list] sshd Fails?

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Jul 24 04:06:52 EEST 2002

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> On Monday 22 July 2002 11:42 pm, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 18:20:25 at 06:20:25PM -0400, Ed Blackman wrote:
> > > Have you tried starting the service after bootup?  How long did you
> > > let it go before you killed it?

I booted up the computer, & ran the /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd script. I'd
say it takes about 15 minutes for sshd to start up the first time. (When
I booted the computer up the first time, I let it run about 5 minutes.
Unfortunately, in a bootup sequence, there is no easy way to tell if
a process has hugn during booting or is just slow.)

> I say we just warn the users:
> On a slow machine, sshd can take a few minutes to start for the first
> time, don't panic.

Perhpas have a note in the slinky selection at the point where sshd is
offered as option. (Something along the lines of ``Warning: sshd may
take an extremely long time to initialize the first time you boot the
system.")

Geoff