[Rule-list] scripts for RPM dependencies analysis

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Thu Jul 25 23:12:57 EEST 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 21:54:23 at 09:54:23PM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
> Marco Fioretti wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody know/has ready scripts to represent in some tree way,
> > ASCII or not the dependency tree, calculate which RPMs are most
> > needed by the others, or any other analysis like this? In short, any
> > script/tool to help us to finally build the app database mentioned in
> > the web site?
>
> No, but maybe peek into the anaconda source? It must be in there
> (Python, but that can be rewritten).

I didn't think at all about this because I am not looking at how to
resolve dependency problems during an install. I am trying to build
something that looks at all the rpms available and answers by itself
to questions like: Find among these 20 email clients, 15 browser, 12
text editors, 20 news clients..... (all end user applications) the
combination requiring the smallest number of RPMs and HD megabytes.

It is still a problem based on dependencies, but (in my eys at least)
seemed enough different from installers tasks to justify a different
approach, and hopefully to have been already solved by somebody: the
difference being in the fact that the installer must "only" find a
solution good enough (no conflicts/missing part, and space
requirements smaller than the current hard disk), I wanted to find the
best possible solutions with stock RPMs regardless of the HD size.

Another output I'd like from it is to say: you need to install this
RPM, but only 50% of its files are actually needed by other packages,
you can safely remove the rest.

What do you think?

Go ahead, capitalize the T on technology, deify it if it will make you
feel less responsible -- but it puts you in with the neutered,
brother, in with the eunuchs keeping the harem of our stolen Earth for
the numb and joyless hardons of human sultans, human elite with no
right at all to be where they are --
			       Thomas Pynchon, _Gravity's Rainbow_