[Rule-list] scripts for RPM dependencies analysis

Ed Blackman rule-list at edgewood.to
Sat Jul 27 08:53:07 EEST 2002

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 07:00:08AM +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> thanks a lot for these pointers. I have downlowded all the RPM modules
> existing on CPAN, to figure out what they do.

"perl -MCPAN -e shell" (as root) will do all the heavy lifting for you
of getting the Perl modules installed.  If you haven't used it before,
it will ask you a bunch of configuration questions, then give you a
prompt.  Say "install RPM::Database" and it will do all the work of
installing it for you.  You'll need the rpm-devel rpm installed first,
though.

> About the rpmdb-redhat package, does the command you suggest work on
> *all* the rpms of a certain release, or *only* on those actually
> installed on the computer where you run it?

All of the rpms of a certain release.

$ rpm -ql elm
package elm is not installed
$ rpm -ql elm --dbpath /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/redhat
/usr/bin/answer
/usr/bin/checkalias
/usr/bin/elm

Ed