[Rule-list] scripts for RPM dependencies analysis

Ed Blackman rule-list at edgewood.to
Sat Jul 27 09:29:19 EEST 2002

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 07:18:22AM +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> After reading Ed's suggestion, I realized that there might be another
> advantage in the perl/sh/whatever approach above:
>
> step 1) must be run once in the world for every RH release, and the
> result can be put online. At that point, everybody (even on non RH
> systems) can use the script to figure out if a RULE-ized RH would fit
> on some computer: this also connects to that old dreams of mine I
> describd here some months ago: that you could do this online, even
> from Windows, before install, to know exactly what would come out.

You can write the online version of the tool even if you use my
suggestion of using RPM::Database.  You would need to have perl and
the RPM::Database module installed on the web server, but I don't
think that would be a big problem.

I personally dislike writing intermediate digests of information, but
since I'm not writing the tool, my personal likes and dislikes aren't
relevant.  <grin>

Ed