[Rule-list] Analysis of Emacs with rpm_analyze

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Jul 31 18:17:26 EEST 2002

Marco Fioretti wrote:

> This is what I get from my alpha script ( from
> http://www.rule-project.org/distro_analyzer_0.2.bz2 ):
>
> [marco at polaris DISTRO_ANALYZER]$ ./rpm_analyze rh7.3_all_cds emacs
> Analysis of package emacs
>         XFree86-libs
>         Xaw3d

These make sense with X only.

>         compat-glibc

I believe this is needed for some modes.

>         glibc
>         glibc-debug

Which packages doesn't need these... ;-)

>         libjpeg
>         libpng
>         libtiff
>         libungif

Again I think these make sense with X only, but I'm not sure - what about a
framebuffer-aware Emacs? Not sure for what these are needed anyway - maybe
for using Emacs as a browser?

>         ncurses
>         zlib

Of course these are needed.

> TOTAL SPACE REQUIREMENTS:
> [marco at polaris DISTRO_ANALYZER]$ ./rpm_analyze rh7.3_all_cds \
> emacs|xargs rpm -qi|grep -i Size|cut -c14-30
>  31466318
>  6022444
>  612778
>  6909510
>  6869212
>  272120
>  354504
>  884279
>  83798
>  2151246
>  66884
>
> The sum is almost 56 MB
>
> What do you think?
>
> 1) Does it look the script is working? (PLEASE test it on other
>    packages, i.e. run it and try to check manually the results)

Uh, guess so. No comment about the required size, I have no idea if these
numbers are correct.

> 2) How many of those dependencies are real?

See above.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

The Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/