[Rule-list] rpm_analyzer and multi-provided resources

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Wed Aug 7 10:52:08 EEST 2002

> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 08:15:44PM -0500, Michael Van Donselaar wrote:
> > rpm_analyzer works great, with one caveat.  Since glibc-devel and
> > glibc-debug say that they provide many of the same resources as glibc,
> > glibc-devel gets required by just about everything.  Likewaise
> > kernel-bigmem and kernel-smp get required as well.
>
> You're going to have the same problem with sendmail and postfix in
> 7.3, since they both provide "smtpdaemon".
>
> Ed

Ed, Michael

first of all, thanks a lot for the feedback!

I had noticed the same problem the day before yesterday. I am still
trying to find a way to overcome it, and any patch/trick/suggestion is
very welcome!

One important note however. Michael wrote:

>I hand edited the cds file to show that glibc-devel only provides
>gibc-devel and similar changes for the other kernels.

This is an effective and fast way to check that there are no other
problems, but I would like to go one step further. Eventually, the
analyzer should (working on the original data):

1) tell when a capability is not really required
2) choose the smallest alternative, i.e. if two packages both provide
   smtpdaemon, list only the one which requires the greatest number of
   packages NOT YET COUNTED IN.

Any suggestion about this?

  TIA,