[Rule-list] Slinky questions

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Sun Aug 18 17:41:00 EEST 2002

On Monday 12 August 2002 04:11 pm, Ed Blackman wrote:

Ed, Sorry for the delay in replying.

> I've been playing around with Lua, and like it more the more I work
> with it.  The interpreter binary is 122k statically linked, not 77k
> like I mistakenly said before.  At that size, it will still fit on
> disk1 without having to kick anything else off, though there's
> precious little space left.

Excellent. I'll have a look at it as soon as I get a chance. I've had
precious little time of late.

> I do have some ideas on how to save space, some of which can be
> implemented even without going to Lua.
>
> - Extract rpm files (the binary and config files) from the rpm package
>   file, rather than including them on the disks. (Package files are
>   just cpio archives with a non-standard header, so you can extract
>   files from them without needing rpm installed.)
>   - Advantages:
>     - 40k savings on rootfs, 732k (!) savings on disk2
>     - No rpm version incompatibilities: the version in the rpm
>       package is always going to be the right one for that version of
>       Redhat.
>   - Disadvantages:
>     - Could be tricky locating the rpm package, given the differences
>       in version between Redhat versions, and the potential that users
>       have upgraded it.

I had considered this option, and it may be worth more investigation. It
isn't so hard on a local cd, but requires more work on network installs.
By all means, feel free to impliment a solution. ;)

> - Loopmount RedHat/base/stage2.img from the first RH CD, use rpm from
>   there.
>   - Advantages:
>     - same as above
>     - easier to find reliably than the rpm package
>   - Disadvantages:
>     - Additional memory usage of one extra loopmount

This, I hadn't considered, and I rather like it. I'll play with it as soon
as I get a chance.

> - Load nfs modules (nfs, lockd, sunrpc) from disk2
>   - Advantages:
>     - Approx. 275k savings on rootfs
>   - Disadvantages:
>     - Some additional complexity in installer

This is part of my plan, actually. The only reason for including it on
disk one initially was because I was doing all the mounting and verifying
early in the setup script. I've moved a lot of that to stage 2, and plan
to move all the mount tests to stage 2 eventually. This has the added
advantage of avoiding a potential problem unmounting the rootfs when the
install is complete. This does add the possibility of an end user getting
halfway through the install only to have the mount fail, but I still
think it's worthwhile. I've already modified the script to allow the user
to manually mount partitions when the script fails, rather than bailing
out.

> - Strip parser from Lua binary.  Lua executes a script by parsing it
>   to produce bytecode, then executing the bytecode produced.  It's
>   designed to be embedded, though, so it's easy to eliminate the
>   parser and only use preparsed ("compiled") bytecode.
>   - Advantages:
>     - Approx. 40k savings on rootfs
>     - Approx 50-75% savings on each script
>   - Disadvantages:
>     - Bytecode isn't human readable or editable.

If we have a choice, I'd rather the setup scripts were human readable (and
editable). 40k isn't so large that I'd want to make the tradeoff, if we
can avoid it.

Thanks for the input, Ed. Keep it up!

Red Hat Linux 7.{2,3} in 8M of RAM: http://www.rule-project.org/