[Rule-list] [Observations] Compiling on a RULE Computer

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sun Aug 11 09:06:45 EEST 2002

Geoff,

first of all:

1) thanks a lot for trying and reporting it so well.
2) May I ask you to insert the original message into the wiki?
   Apart from its intrinsic interest, what you did belongs to
   a general area (=RULE PCs as platform to learn programming)
   which is going to be VERY important for schools. We have to
   highlight that it is possible to compile on a RULE box.

Questions on specific points follow.

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 16:17:06 at 04:17:06PM -0700, Geoff Burling wrote:

> With my current install, I had problems getting nmap to
> compile. First off, I needed to install the flex & bison

This is needed almost always when compiling, isn't it? Probably the
best thing to do is to ask during installation "Do you want to compile
on this box?" and then add in one swap (HW permitting) a complete
environment

> the kernel. I installed the kernel source files as root,
> then tried to run ``make xconfig"; the make script failed
> to find wish & died. (Well, I'm not too daunted by this;
> and why should I bother with an X option when I should be
> using a CLI?) Next I tried ``make config", & the script

Exactly, this is something to be just mentioned in the documentation

> kept dying, complaining that it needed the ncurses libraries.
> This I overcame with two steps: first I kept editting
> /etc/ld.so.conf (it only had one directory listed) & running

Now this is curious. On my RH 7.3 PC:
 marco at polaris> rpm -qf /etc/ld.so.conf
 glibc-2.2.5-34
 marco at polaris> cat !$
/usr/kerberos/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/qt-3.0.3/lib
/usr/lib/qt2/lib
/usr/lib/sane
/usr/lib/qt-1.45/lib
/usr/lib/wine

What development packages did you have installed when it was only one
line? And what does it mean? That one package (glibc) owns the file,
but others mess with it when installed?

...the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the
Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. (Calvin)