[Rule-list] [Observations] Compiling on a RULE Computer

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Aug 11 23:52:42 EEST 2002

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> Geoff,
>
> first of all:
>
> 1) thanks a lot for trying and reporting it so well.

I used to get paid for doing this, so I *better* do it well. ;-)

> 2) May I ask you to insert the original message into the wiki?
>    Apart from its intrinsic interest, what you did belongs to
>    a general area (=RULE PCs as platform to learn programming)
>    which is going to be VERY important for schools. We have to
>    highlight that it is possible to compile on a RULE box.

Done.

The reason I didn't enter this on the Wiki instead is that I consider this
to be a quick interim report, just to let people know, as you said, it
is possible to program on a RULE box. And to hopefully stir up some
discussion about actually using RULE boxes.

> Questions on specific points follow.
>
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 16:17:06 at 04:17:06PM -0700, Geoff Burling wrote:
> >
> > With my current install, I had problems getting nmap to
> > compile. First off, I needed to install the flex & bison
>
> This is needed almost always when compiling, isn't it? Probably the
> best thing to do is to ask during installation "Do you want to compile
> on this box?" and then add in one swap (HW permitting) a complete
> environment

This is one goal of my email: to accumulate a list of rpms that should
go into collecting a programming package, much like the existing networking
one. I would have been a lot happier if I could say ``these are the
packages we need in such a collection", & offer a list that I have
verified.

> > the kernel. I installed the kernel source files as root,
> > then tried to run ``make xconfig"; the make script failed
> > to find wish & died. (Well, I'm not too daunted by this;
> > and why should I bother with an X option when I should be
> > using a CLI?) Next I tried ``make config", & the script
>
> Exactly, this is something to be just mentioned in the documentation

One reason I made a report of this. ;-)

BTW, I typed the command wrong: it should be ``make menuconfig". I fixed
this when I wrote up the Wiki page.

> > kept dying, complaining that it needed the ncurses libraries.
> > This I overcame with two steps: first I kept editting
> > /etc/ld.so.conf (it only had one directory listed) & running
>
> Now this is curious. On my RH 7.3 PC:
>  marco at polaris> rpm -qf /etc/ld.so.conf
>  glibc-2.2.5-34
>  marco at polaris> cat !$
> /usr/kerberos/lib
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/lib/qt-3.0.3/lib
> /usr/lib/qt2/lib
> /usr/lib/sane
> /usr/lib/qt-1.45/lib
> /usr/lib/wine
>
> What development packages did you have installed when it was only one
> line? And what does it mean? That one package (glibc) owns the file,
> but others mess with it when installed?

I don't remember all of the packages I have installed on top of the RULE
ones -- one of the reasons I consider this to be an interim status report --
but I think the problem lies in the fact I'm using RH 7.2:

[geoff at zander nmap-2.53]$ rpm -qf /etc/ld.so.conf
glibc-2.2.4-13

That would explain why I found /etc/ld.so.conf to have only one line --
``/usr/kerberos/lib". Perhaps the RH rpms will update /etc/ld.so.conf &
rerun /sbin/ldconfig with further installs; but this is a sticking point
I feel needs to be documented, & my email is a first step.

Geoff