[Rule-list] Help needed for distro_analyzer and self dependencies

Ed Blackman rule-list at edgewood.to
Sun Aug 11 22:14:00 EEST 2002

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 09:11:57AM +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> rpm -q --requires bash
>                       (among others)     /bin/bash

I looked at the bash .spec file, and it looks like /bin/bash is added
automatically by RPM (as the library requirements are), since the
.spec file doesn't list that as a requirement.

From looking at the list of RPMs that require /bin/sh or /bin/bash,
and then looking at their install and uninstall scripts ('rpm -q
--queryformat "%{PREIN}\n\n%{POSTIN}\n\n%{PREUN}\n\n%{POSTUN}\n"
package'), it seems that RPM automatically adds a requirement for
/bin/sh to RPMs that have a simple list of commands as an install or
uninstall script, and changes that to /bin/bash if the script is more
complicated.

> Any suggestion about how to deal with this?

Is bash the only example?  If so, I would suggest adding a special
case in the database generation script to avoid it.

Ed