[Rule-list] Help needed for distro_analyzer and self dependencies

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Tue Aug 13 08:27:59 EEST 2002

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 00:52:37 at 12:52:37AM -0400, Ed Blackman wrote:

> So our solutions can only be:
> 1) Treat bash as a special case, and insert "provides /bin/sh" into
>    database.
> 2) Insert every file from every RPM into our database, and change the
>    script so that it also looks at files.
>
> The disadvantage of 1 is that it's a special case.  The disadvantage
> of 2 is that it will bloat our database up to about 50 or 60 megs
> (judging by the size of the RH rpmdb-redhat package, which contains
> about the same information).

Absolutely correct. I'm thinking of:

	generate the huge thing once and for all for any RPM set
		with included files and all

	preprocess it once and for all, removing all the provided
		files not explicitly required by other packages.
		EX: bash installs 271 files. I list them all, realize
		only /bin/sh and /bin/bash are needed by the others,
		erase all the other 269.

	run distro_analyzer on what's left

Comments?

According to one popular definition, craziness is doing the same thing
over and over but expecting different results.