[Rule-list] Miniconda dump available online - UPDATED: Succesful Installation

C David Rigby cr8s at virginia.edu
Fri Sep 27 19:11:17 EEST 2002

On Thursday 26 September 2002 08:31 am, C David Rigby wrote:
> On Thursday 26 September 2002 12:44 am, Michael Fratoni wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday 25 September 2002 12:39 pm, C David Rigby wrote:
> > > Cool.  I noticed also that there are some things that I didn't do per
> > > the instructions (yes, I have heard of such things as manuals, but...
> > > {8->) so I will go back and try this a bit differently before I start
> > > adjusting hardware, etc.
> >
> > Hi David,
> > When you try again (with the instructions in hand) ;)
> > Let me know how it goes, please. There have been a lot of reports on the
> > Valhalla list for Red Hat 7.3 reporting segfaults during install on older
> > hardware, and I haven't had any time to look at this with regards to the
> > miniconda installer. The miniconda installer should behave much like the
> > normal Red Hat install, only in text mode, with fewer options. It does
> > use the same kernel, modules, rpms, and build process as the standard
> > anaconda installer.
> >
> > Which Red Hat version are you trying to install? Miniconda v-0.7.35 and
> > v-0.7.4 are for the 7.3 release, Versions <= 0.7.3 are for the 7.2
> > release. That right there could account for some of your difficulties.
>
> mincondas 0.7.4 and 0.7.3x fail too early in the process (during
> /sbin/loader) for the CDs to be accessed.  I only really get into the
> installer with miniconda-0.7.2 and then I use the RH7.2 CDs.
>
> > Since I've been away from this for a while, I'm going to attempt to find
> > time this weekend to put together another build of miniconda.
> >
> > - --
> > - -Michael
>
> Michael,
> 	I have tried several more times without success, in the following
> fashions. You may want to just skip to the bottom to see my conclusion
> before plowing through all these details.
>
> 1)
> 	Discovering that I needed the updates diskette (this was the reading
> instructions part) I attempted the miniconda-0.7.2 install again.  I did
> reach the point where I was presented with the installation options,
> including the Low Memory system, which I had not seen before.  After
> resolving dependencies, the installer crashed again in a very similar
> fashion (I have another anacdump.txt available from this install attempt,
> if someone would like for me to send it).
>
> 2)
> 	I tried again, this time the difference being that I chose a check for bad
> blocks during partition formatting.  Recall that I had previously used the
> RH6.2 installer to access fdisk and partition the drives, and they were
> recognized by Disk Druid under miniconda-0.7.2 as type "linux native" and
> not as ext2.  I made it to the same point as (1) above, but this time the
> failure was a bit different.  On the main console I got the message
> 	Message: An error occured while searching for bad blocks on sda1 (this is
> my /var partition).  This problem is serious, and install cannot continue.
> [...]

I have succeeded in installing RedHat 7.2 in the RULE Low-Memory configuration
via miniconda-0.7.2.  Here is what was needed:

1) hardware changes
	The most necessary change for this old machine seems to have been replacing
the 1046 cylinder drive with a smaller drive that did not exceed the old
BIOS's limit of 1024 cylinders.  Previously, standard RedHat 6.2 installation
would not complete.  After the hard drive swap, it did.
	It should also be noted that the external 2GB SCSI hard drive was detached
for all that follows.
	I also replaced the floppy drive (a weak eject spring - I got tired of
removing floppy disks with a pair of needle-nose pliers) and the power supply
(sometimes the system would not start up).
	Still, miniconda-0.7.2 would fail as before: after selection of the
Installation Type and before the actual installation of packages had begun.
	Finally, I swapped out the AHA-1522A SCSI controller and tried again with a
Future Domains TMC-1660ER (installer could not insert module), a Trantor T128
(timeouts killed installation) and finally an Adaptec-154x-based card.  With
this last card in place, installation completed succesfully.

2) Debugging
	If it is useful, I have a dump that I can send to whomever would like to see
it that was the output after failure of the last attempt at installation
using the AHA-1522A.  It may be helpful in debugging support for this
relatively common old SCSI card.

3) To do
	First, retry the installation again with the 2GB external SCSI drive
attached.  Current available storage on the internal HD is limitted to 320MB
for /, and the installation of the base Low-Memory system w/ Network and DHCP
Client support used 120MB, and the installer indicated it needed 302MB for
the installation.  So, more storage would be nice.
	Second, retry the installation on another PC (I have an older 1st generation
P5 around here somewhere) again using the AHA-1522A.  This should give an
indication of whether or not the problem is really this particular card, or
some sort of interaction between the ancient 486 and that particular SCSI
card.
	Also, try installation on a different computer with the AHA-1522A using
miniconda-0.7.4, which still fails early in the process.  The kernel loads,
the ramdisk loads, and then failure occurs while running /sbin/loader with a
signal 11.