[Rule-list] IPTABLES for RULE, was: Welcome back Marco

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Thu Sep 26 02:29:19 EEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 15:28:40 at 03:28:40PM -0500, hairylarry at deltaboogie.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Good to have you back. Things were kind of dead around here
> without you.

Hey, thanks a lot, Larry!

> Has anyone had any experience with this. Is there anyone with a dial-
> up connection who would like to work with me on this? We need to
> make it work for dialup or network connection. I'm on wireless
> broadband here.

I'm in on this, for three reasons:

    1) Experimenting a bit too hard, I recently canceled/corrupted my
       iptables setting, so I need to put it back ASAP

    2) I am on dialup, and need to:

	do everything on the home LAN, without restrictions

	pass only http/ftp/email from the inside to the Internet,
	nothing at all originating from outside must enter

	log all http traffic (kids in the house), blocking some sites
	and almost all banners

     3) IMNSHO, the need above is as common as thoroughly
        undocumented, so we might just as well fix it.

Some links to start with, haven't studied them yet:

	www.linuxhelp.net/guides/davion/iptables-script
	www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/ (many scripts here!)
	www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialNetworkGateway.html

We have to pursue this subject of fun very seriously if we
want to stay competitive in the 21st century. -George Yeo,
     Singapore's Minister of State for Finance.