[Rule-list] Failed Miniconda Install

Arthur Yarwood arthur at fubaby.com
Sun Oct 6 01:40:40 EEST 2002

> On Saturday 05 October 2002 11:41 am, Arthur Yarwood wrote:
> Often, a sig 11 during install can be traced back to a bad memory module,
> this may or may not be the case. You could try running memtest86 on the
> machine, just to be sure. The web site is here:
> http://www.memtest86.com/

Yeah that's what the main sig 11 faq page says. Although I'm keeping
confident about the ram, as the box has been running redhat7.0 for years
without problems. Until I tried to squeeze some speed out of it by
playing with hdparam and managed to screw the drive up... Can't boot it
anymore more, fails to find init... doh! oh well, thats another story,
it was due for a update anyway.

> While it isn't as polished as the miniconda install, the slinky installer
> may work for you. Slinky is a shell script that will prompt you for
> answers about how to install, and then do so. Slinky can do NFS, HTTP,
> FTP, hard disk, and CDROM installs. It will get you a basic text mode
> system running, and isn't overly difficult to use. If you want to try
> that, and have specific questions, I'll do what I can to help. 32M of ram
> should be enough for either installer, though Miniconda will be slow.
> Slinky will actually work in as little as 8M without too much of a
> performance hit.

I shall give slinky a go. If it can get the basics there, that'd be
cool. I can cope from there. Last time I seemed to spend ages removing
bloat from the redhat install anyway. You want enough libs to run the
pretty gui X config apps remotely, but not actually run an XServer on
the machine.

> Slinky isn't set up for updates, it wants to format one or more
partitions
> and start fresh. If you have any data you need to save, either back it
> up, or don't use slinky. Just as a word of warning, I have not tested the
> upgrade path with Miniconda. While none of the RULE modifications should
> affect an upgrade, I wouldn't bet any useful data on it. Please make sure
> you have a known good backup before attempting to upgrade a working
> system.

There are a couple of config files I'd like to backup and reuse. So I
was kind of hoping that I could jump into another console part way
through an installer and mount a remote drive to copy stuff over. As I
mentioned earlier I've screwed up the current install, which makes
backing up a bit difficult. Is this feasible with slinky?

> I've begun working on new versions of both installers for the 8.0
release.
> I've also been trying to rebuild the miniconda installer for 7.2 and 7.3
> but I had run out of both time and disk space. ;) The disk space problem
> has been solved, and my devel machine is back in working order again, so
> perhaps I'll make some progress on this soon.

Well I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. If there's any feedback
you need or installers you'd like me to try, get in touch.

Regards,

  Arthur Yarwood
-=[ fubaby.com ]=-