[Rule-list] ANNOUNCE: new website partially up

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Wed Oct 9 10:28:31 EEST 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 21:05:56 at 09:05:56PM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:
> Speaking of other languages: If I ever get to translating some RULE web
> pages into German, which text format should I use? Sounds like plain
> text, anything special?

Plain text is perfect. I am going to put on the website the scriptthat
I am using, as they should become (in perfect RULE spirit) tools that
help create php, dynamic websites from plain text files. To have a
preliminary idea of how I generated the new pages, look to Jari
Aalto's tinytools, tinytools.sourceforge.net. They include a
"technical format mode" for emacs, the t2html script which generates html
from techincal format files, and a *bunch* of other emacs utilities.

I used only the first two things because I *like* the idea: why should the
"source" text which one lately converts to html, ps, pdf... be made
unreadable by markup?

However, since the t2html script is tailored on a certain type of web
pages, and doesn't merge with php as I'd like it to do, I started
writing t2php.pl, which does just that (always starting from
"technical format" plain ASCII files).

So, to answer the original question, plain text is perfect, and
formatted in that way is just adorable (**).

(**) Remember that one only needs the tf-mode from Jari's package, not
the whole enchilada
--
Nature is very un-American.  Nature never hurries.
						-- William George Jordan