[Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Oct 19 20:18:56 EEST 2002

Michael Fratoni wrote:

> On Thursday 17 October 2002 05:14 pm, Geoff Burling wrote:
> > I saw in last week's LWN (I don't have a subscription to this fine
> > website, so I'm forced to read their updates when they open them to
> > freeloaders like me a week later) that RH has dropped support for
> > the 486 processor with version 8.0. See the following link:
> >
> > http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagename=details&hid=4456
> >
> > This affects the RULE project because (unless I missed an important
> > email somewhere) the tools created assumes that the user is
> > installing from the current RH source media.
>
> Working on possible solutions. I discovered this myself sometime last
> night. See my crosspost from the Psyche list.
>
> This is not a good thing (tm).

Agreed wholeheartedly! But I understand the reason - it saves Red Hat a
*lot* of testing.

I don't have a 486 for testing. :-(( But I don't think we need to worry
too much - as in previous releases the only things expressively built
for non-i386 are the kernel and the glibc. Glibc even is included as
i386 RPM, only the kernel is not (i586, i686 and athlon). As an
interesting side not, the CDs are called Red Hat Linux_i386! *grin* I'm
rather hopeful that the only thing we'll need to provide is the i386
kernel, which should be easy (but big, 13+ MB).

Does anyone have a 486 to try?

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/