[Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486

Glen Lee Edwards glen at fcwm.org
Tue Oct 22 02:48:01 EEST 2002

On Monday 21 October 2002 03:54 pm, Eugene Wong wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'd thought that I would just chime in here. I believe that it would
> be wise to create two seperate projects. One will focus on creating
> an installer with an already established distribution, and another
> will focus on creating a whole new distribution from scratch.

<clip>

> There is advantage to having a compeletely seperate installation
> altogether, because it lets us optimize according to our outdated
> hardware, as well as how we intend to use it. I'd be very greatful
> for a minimal install that lets me read email from mutt, and allows
> me to read man pages, info, etc. I guess I could do that now, but I'd
> like to do it with newer stuff. One important thing about having our
> own distribution is that it allows us to progress at our own pace. It
> seems that Michael is always playing catch up with every new distro
> release.

I'd like to go with a new distribution, minimal install (heavy emphasis
on minimal), that is Red Hat compatible.  I'd like to see the base
install upgradeable using apt (along the lines of what Debian uses) so
you basically *never* (very heavy emphasis on very) have to do a
complete reinstall.  "apt-get upgrade" over the net upgrades all the
base packages and always keeps you current.

The basic concept being; the new distro provides the base install with
rpm capabilities.  From there, you're on your own, but you can get help
from the list.  After all, we're in this together.

Regards,

Glen