[Rule-list] About RH 8 not supporting 486

Glen Lee Edwards glen at fcwm.org
Tue Oct 22 23:29:47 EEST 2002

> While we could, in theory, repackage the packages we need and
> distribute a mini distro, there are some significant issues that
> would need to be resolved. Just for an easy one off the top of my
> head, bandwidth. Who's going to host it, and where?

Can we come up with a marketing strategy for a mini distro?  If we can
reasonably define what will be in the package (how much disk space it
will take), and how much bandwidth will be needed, we might be able to
define what we need for hosting.

Is this what you mean by mini distro: just the minimum needed to boot
up, including packages such as less, Mutt (which I've never been able
to figure out), lynx, and the latest rpm package manager from Red Hat
so we can add in whatever RH packages we want?

That type of package would have a small fingerprint, and shouldn't take
up a lot of bandwidth to download.  If there are ~100 of us using it,
could it be hosted on a home DSL setup, with a few mirrors also on home
DSL?

Clearly it would be nice if one or two of the rule users had access to a
University's bandwidth.  But if that isn't the case, we may need to
consider the home DSL route.

Regards,

Glen