[Rule-list] About RULE hosting

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri Oct 25 01:44:10 EEST 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 02:35:05 at 02:35:05AM +0200, Martin Stricker wrote:

> savannah.gnu.org ;=D Or we move to SourceForge. Or find an university
> that helps us out - one of our targets is schools and universities... I
> don't think we'll have much difficulty hosting it, the difficulty I see
> is how can people in the poor countries download it? I'm behind a modem
> line myself, paid by the minute. Downloading a full 650 MB ISO image
> would take *at least* two days and would cost me... *yipe!* So
> distribution is a huge concern!

Absolutely, both in general and especially for RULE users!

The reason why I chose Savannah instead of SourceForge was that I had
some perplexities about their terms of use, asked by email, and am
still waiting for an answer...

Right now, we are only using savannah for the mailing list, and we
might still need something like that if and when we start to need and
use regularly CVS: everything else (except, I guess, full size ISOs)
can stay on the current RULE server: the only problem there is that
Rodolfo, the sysadmin, went completely offline a couple of weeks ago
(for nothing less than a baby, CONGRATULATIONS), and so some things
like a MySQL database for news and packages are on hold.

> While I would love to learn how to build a distro from scratch, I don't
> think we need yet another Linux distribution, and I do not have the
> necessary time for it.

I couldn't agree more: we already abundantly explained why on the
enigma list in february and in the FAQ.