[Rule-list] About RH 8 not supporting 486

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Fri Oct 25 01:59:47 EEST 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 19:17:41 at 07:17:41PM -0700, Oisin C. Feeley wrote:
> I think a RULE ISO would be a good idea.  Most people are used to the idea

See what said in other messages about a RULE mini-iso that can start
and then use the big RH CDs that every Linux magazine eventually
brings to the closest newspaper kiosk

> RULE can also have a remit and audience beyond the i386/i486 world:  given
> that it's being optimized for small memory machines it would be very
> useful for those of us that have machines like my home-desktop (466 Mhz
> Celeron, 64Mb RAM).  This runs "Psyche" dog-slow.  I just experimented
> with swapping memory in/out of other machines today and found that adding
> another 128Mb RAM in means that it now runs acceptably fast.  That strikes
> me as an excessively large amount of memory.  If RULE can provide a
> collection of lower-memory use Window/Desktop managers, browsers, etc. all
> chosen and integerated by the RULE-team then there's definitely an
> audience out there for it.

YES, this *is* what we want to do, stay tuned: w.r.t. to integration and ISOs,
consider that once we have the list we should only put on our ISO or
web site *only* the RPMs not included in the RH CDs.

> As time progresses and we move onto Red Hat 10.23 running on a minimal
> hardware of 5.4GHz/ 1GB RAM, it will be very useful if there is a complete
> build process, tools and accumulated expertise in building an OS optimized
> for more restricted systems.

Right again, word by word (see the FAQ about Moore's law...). And
thanks for the compliments!