[Rule-list] slinky-v0.3.1

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Fri Oct 25 04:04:49 EEST 2002

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 04:39 pm, Richard Kweskin wrote:
> On Sunday 20 October 2002 09:26 am, Michael Fratoni wrote:
> > New slinky version is available.
>
> Hello All

Hi Richard,

> Picked up 8.0 personal for 60 euro and can now start with v0.3.1.

Too late! Start with slinky v0.3.2 instead. ;)

> > As a work around for the time being, it installs the kernel-BOOT
> > package on i386 and i486 machines. Not optimal, but it'll have to do
> > for the time being.
>
> I downloaded kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0.i386.rpm from the update site,
> thinking that it wasn't going to be included. Is this the one Michael
> refers to?
>
> > Until I get a chance to find a better solution, it is always
> > possible to bring up networking, and install the updated i386 kernel
> > from any mirror you like. (Red Hat did release updated kernel
> > packages for the i386)
>
> Or, rather, Michael says to download it?

0.3.2 is available as an iso containing the i386 kernel, as well as the
usual floppy images. If you've already downloaded the kernel, you can
just use the floppy images. Edit the second_stage_scripts/base_install.sh
file to point to where the kernel can be found. Even easier, let the
install run and complain that the kernel package wasn't found, switch to
vt2 and install the kernel package manually. You can then go back to vt1,
and finish the install.

> "installer" here means anaconda or slinky?

Slinky. I haven't fooled much with miniconda yet, although I am now able
to rebuild the disks. Still have to patch anaconda for our needs.

Note that in the not too distant future, slinky will use a configuration
file, making the process somewaht less complicated. I hope.

> Happy to oblige. Sorry for the silly questions.

No silly questions detected. ;)

Red Hat Linux 7.{2,3} in 8M of RAM: http://www.rule-project.org/