[Rule-list] "Advance to the past" and FAQ

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Oct 25 08:14:00 EEST 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> there is nothing to laugh, I am fully convinced of this too: just look
> what I wrote when we started the project in FAQ #3...

[snip]

> Said this, allow me to note that "advance to the past" is one heck of a
> cool slogan (technology-wise, of course: I shake thinking to what some
> politicians might justify with it...)! Can I tattoo it on the case of
> my P133/32 MB RAM laptop?

Help yourself. So far, all I've contributed to this project has been hot
air, spurious bug reports, & a few useful suggestions. <g>

A personal recollection follows.

When I wrote the part about laughing at my idea, I had in mind one of the
times I had been humiliated for sharing an idea in a meeting. In fact,
it was much the same idea: that the company I was working for at the time
should't get so wrapped up in offering the latest & greatest high tech
solution that we overlook simple & low tech solutions that need only a
little nuturing to keep viable.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the person who made the belittling comments
not only hadn't been one of the moderators, but had also said an hour
before, at the beginning of the meeting that we should all respect each
other's input & that there were no bad ideas.

Since then, I discovered Dilbert & probably saw this instance from life
repeated in that cartoon at least a dozen times.

Geoff