[Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sat Oct 26 18:27:57 EEST 2002

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 23:05:00 at 11:05:00PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
Liam,

1) I'm also sending this CC to you because the mail server still seems
to have problems with your email address: please let me know off list
if you can at least *receive* all the list email

2) I agree 100% on the following points (heavily cut for brevity)

> It seems a significant duplication of effort to me.
>
> ... Gentoo... only viable on modern high-performance hardware
>
> This is something far from what RULE originally envisioned... but for the
>
> What RULE aims to do, essentially, is create a new mini-installation of an
> existing distro.
>
> That does not seem, to me, to require a whole new distro.

I also agree with almost everything else you said. I'd like to point
out, however, what we already said about the 19 MB iso. Personally,
I'll have to wait another weekend to try it myself, but something
like that can install almost everywhere a system that will boot, have
rpm, and run some included scripts which will create a mini server,
mini desktop or whatever... just fetching to it the standard RH disks
(or the URL of an RPM repository if bandwidth is not an issue)

Last but not least: do you think you could translate your original message
in a RH 8.0 self contained RPM list?