[Rule-list] Re: fluxbox/blackbox and beyond

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sun Oct 27 02:41:08 EEST 2002

Richard Kweskin wrote:

> In an attempt to put a rule install to use as a workstation, I tried adding as
> little as possible and still get access to some gui. However, though fluxbox
> sounded like a possibility, the choosing of which rpm's to add, both to
> enable the x-server and to enable compiling of the fluxbox source, requires
> your (collective) help.
>
> I know that the goal posts are constantly being moved (7.2 to 7.3 to 8.0) and
> it is a lot of work to compile lists of just what rpms are needed for a
> certain end result.

Richard,

sorry for answering so late, I missed the message completely.

1) Don't know about fluxbox, but blackbox advertises as one of its
main features that it has very little dependencies. On the RH 8 box
just installed (still struggling to make other things work...) I get
for blackbox 0.65 from freshrpms.net:
rpm -q --requires blackbox
XFree86
libstdc++
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
/bin/sh
libICE.so.6
libSM.so.6
libX11.so.6
libXext.so.6
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libgcc_s.so.1
libgcc_s.so.1(GCC_3.0)
libm.so.6
libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2)

That means, if I understand it completely, that once you have XFree,
libstdc (=GLIBC), GLIBCPP you should be OK, right?

For RH 7.3: try to download the DAn tool
(www.rule-project.org/en/sw/dan.php) and see if the included database
for RH 7.3 contains blackbox (i.e. try to run the tool with blackbox
as second argument)

In general: whenever you have managed to get a system with the
smallest possible number of packages, but still doing all you need it
to do, please run rpm -qa and post the result here.