[Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sun Oct 27 23:31:25 EET 2002

Colin Mattoon wrote:

> 2. A custom shell script to be run as root that uses the "installpkg"
> command to install a subset of the official Slackware packages to
> prepare an RPM oriented Slackware system. The shell script chould
> create SYSV style initialization scripts and symlinks as needed, to
> mimic a Red Hat system.

This is exactly the reason I dislike Slackware... ;-)))

> The remaining problem (not to pretend that this is trivial) is simply
> to make sure that RPM can handle all dependancies on this specialized
> system.

To accomplish this you either need to install dummy RPMs to insert into
the RPM database everything that already got installed, or deliver a
ready-to-use RPM database. Maybe rpm --rebuilddb can help here?

> The only other "thoughts" that come to mind this morning

> -- "ee" is a great text editor to use as a substitute for vi

Just for the record: Emacs is far better... *ducks and runs* ;=D
Even newbies should be exposed to vi because it's the only editor
(except ed and ex, but...) they will find on *any* Unix-like OS around.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/