[Rule-list] Web browsers & TinyX

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 28 19:26:08 EET 2002

>From: Colin Mattoon <cjm2 at lewiston.com>
<snip>
>As an aside, if anyone at this list hasn't looked at Dillo, they should.
>It's still pretty much "pre-beta" but it demonstrates that a graphical
>browser doesn't have to be bloated. Since Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, Galeon,
>Konqueror, etc., have become so huge, they're part of the problem when
>considering how to put slow, low memory machines into service with Linux.
>If a machine can run an Xserver, it can run Dillo, and it will load quickly
>as an application -- and load web pages quickly after it is opened. Takes
>very little hard drive space as well. It's about 2% of the size of most
>contemporary browsers.

Sounds good, but how does it compare to Phoenix and Skipstone? Maybe someone
should start a special project that compares all of the small browsers and
tries to pick out the one thats the smallest and most featureful, without
being bloated.

While we're at it, we should get some docs on how to install TinyX. Is it
still being maintained?