[Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 30 00:17:51 EET 2002

<snip>
>My proposal, if Red Hat decides to switch to i586 packages,
>is to recompile the whole distro for i386 and make it available for
>download. Of course, this might not be worth the effort as well... ;-))
>
>Best regards,
>Martin Stricker

Based on the things that have been said, I think that that is the *only* way
to go. After all, you're all going to offer a slinky iso. You may as well go
the whole way. It took me about 1 week to install Gentoo on a Pentium 180MHz
64 MB. Therefore, spending about 1-4 weeks compiling RH for everybody on the
Internet is a good use of computer resources. As it is there are very few
people using i386, so only updating your version of RH for every *.2 would
be just fine. Also, it's not as if RULE needs to release as quickly as RH.

Maybe you could have an installation option where people can install from
sources. If the users have the time and resources, then why not compile
everything?

One advantage of RULE compiling its own, is that it really helps to avoid
the need to always update the installer based on the kernel and binaries.

The compatibility that RULE will keep, is the directory structure, package
management, and other lower level stuff.

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband.