[Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486

Liam Proven lproven at cix.co.uk
Wed Oct 30 00:32:00 EET 2002

> Because Red Hat Linux is based on RPM and System V. This project started
> as a Red Hat Linux based one, and many of us want *Red Hat* Linux, not
> Slackware or anything else. At least this is true for me.

Fair enough!

I strongly recommend you to take a look at some other distros and see just
how very far behind the times RH is, though.

I started with Red Hat, too, when I wrote my Linux Masterclass article for
PC Pro - it's on my homepage. Takes a novice from "what is Linux?" to
building a complete small business server. I'm rather proud of it. RH was
a good server distro and still isn't too bad, but it's a very weak
desktop.

> Furthermore,
> you will find precompiled RPMs for Red Hat Linux for nearly any
> software, which is especially important when dealing with proprietary
> software. Thus it's a good idea to have a Red Hat Linux compatible
> system.

Up to a point. The world doesn't revolve around RH, though.

> Well, this *could* be circumvented by 1) using apt-rpm as found on
> http://freshrpms.net/ and 2) placing RULE mirrors instead of the Debian
> ones into /etc/apt/sources.list. Again, I don't think it's worth the
> effort.

I think you're wrong. I think it's an absolutely brilliant idea and would
be a HUGE help. Without a dependancies database, RPM is badly broken.

> My proposal, if Red Hat decides to switch to i586 packages,
> is to recompile the whole distro for i386 and make it available for
> download. Of course, this might not be worth the effort as well... ;-))

I think it's the only way to go.

--
Liam Proven • http://welcome.to/liamsweb