[Rule-list] Red Hat No Longer Supports 486

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Fri Nov 1 01:40:57 EET 2002

Marco Fioretti wrote:

> RULE is a moving target: keeping RH useable on CPUS two generations
> behind the last should always be possible and leave us with something
> to play with. Using  *specific* CPUs (i386s) till they fall apart is
> definitely worth doing, and in the long end I probably agree with
> your analysis of Slackware.
> RULE remains focused on RH: sub projects studying other distros are
> welcome, please submit pages to put online

Thanks a lot for this, Marco! So, if someone is interesting in exploring
Debian, I might find some time to help out. I need to familiarize myself
with it anyway, I want to take a look at HURD as well.

> > It is not the biggest or smallest, easiest or hardest, fastest,
> > slowest, most friendly, least friendly, most useful, least useful;
> > it does not excel in any area.
> Wrong: it excels in making OSS/Free SW acceptable to the corporate
> world. There are still hundreds of the biggest companies around which
> will swallow Linux only:

Very well said.

> > > XML is primarily important only when document exchange is an
> > > issue.
> >
> > XML is vapourware. Document exchange means MS Word and RTF in the
> > computing world I inhabit.
>
> I'm told that latest versions of Word use some XML format, is this
> true?

Yes. Sadly, their XML DTD isn't designed very well.

> Apart from that, document format is not vapourware, it's much
> more important than the OS: if everybody used any really open, non
> proprietary document format, OS and applications used to read and
> write it would become totally irrelevant. But we really digress
> here...

Correct. I'm doing a lot of XML and XSLT/XSL-FO right now, and it pays
well. It eases a lot of things.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/