[Rule-list] About browsers for RULE

Liam Proven lproven at cix.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 14:27:23 EET 2002

On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 09:48 AM, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> have you tried building a stand-alone Galeon, or found any info about
> how to do it? I've asked a couple of times to the author, specifying
> what we are trying to do here, but, IIRC, nobody in their group had
> ever
> actually tried.

I haven't yet, no.

I have one friend who is a pretty "hardcore" Linux type, and have
discussed RULE and lightweight Linux with him a lot. (He's not
interested in Rule as he is a pure-Debian type.)

He says that as Galeon requires GNOME libraries as well as the Gecko
Mozilla engine, it will be too big and slow for a really low-end
machine. This has put me off trying so far.

However, the Dillo browser looks good for a REALLY thin web client:

http://dillo.cipsga.org.br/

Also, there's an "official" thin Mozilla coming along: Phoenix.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

I have tried it on Windows and I'm impressed. It's small and fast - but
it's far from finished yet and is still rather buggy. The good news is
that the team say that it will be much smaller and faster when it is
done!

Then, they plan to do a standalone email client and newsreader based on
those bits of Mozilla. Sounds good to me - Mozilla is my preferred
newsreader on Windows, but I'd prefer it to be smaller and simpler. I
don't use a newsreader (or email program) in remotely the same way as I
use a browser.

--
Liam Proven • Homepage: http://welcome.to/liamsweb
Tel: +44(0)20-8685-0498 • Mobile: +44(0)7939-087884
ICQ: 73187508 • MSN & alternative email: lproven at hotmail.com