[Rule-list] Re: Slinky and tinyX

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Mon Nov 25 05:45:25 EET 2002

On Friday 22 November 2002 04:35 am, Raymundo Baquirin wrote:
> On Thursday 21 November 2002 19:43, you wrote:
> > Message: 1
> > From: Michael Fratoni <mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net>
> > To: rule-list at nongnu.org
> > Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:30:10 -0500
> > Subject: [Rule-list] Slinky and tinyX
> >
> > I've built XFree86 rpms for slinky, and they seem to work well.
>
> Michael, this is great!  Congratulations!
>
> I have to use X on my Fujitsu Point 510 with a touch-screen and no
> keyboard, much as I would prefer console apps.  Version 4 won't install
> on this machine and version 3.3.6 runs pretty slow.  And, some apps I
> want to install won't build with version 3.
>
> > If anyone would like to try these packages, I'll make them available.
>
> Tell me how to get my hands on them.

I can make the packages available. I'd prefer not to put them up on my
server, however, due to bandwidth issues. For anyone who can't build the
packages, I will make the packages availabe. I just don't want to post
them publically on my server.

However, this may not help much. Touch screen support isn't compiled in,
and attempting to do so causes the build to fail. I haven't figured this
out yet. Does the stock version of XFree86 contain touchscreen support?

What I will do, is provide a nosource rpm on my server. You can install
the nosource package, and grab the XFree86 source from:
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.0/source/
You'll need:
X420src-1.tgz
X420src-2.tgz
X420src-3.tgz
To build the packages. Once you have them, install the nosource rpm, and
move the 3 .tgz files to your rpm build environment SOURCES/ directory.
Then, run 'rpmbuild -bb XFree86.spec' in that directory.

I should also have a hacked up version of the Red Hat spec file that will
work with the source from the stock source XFree86 package. It's a
conditionalized version of the spec file to build a minimal X. It's quite
ugly, but seems to work. Apologies in advance to Mike Harris for what I
have done to his spec file. ;)

You'll end up with minimal X packages. You can then install them, create a
link to the server for your card (cd /usr/X11R6/bin; ln -s servers/?  X)
Where ? is the name of the correct server. startx should then bring up an
xsession. I'm using the Xfbdev server, which works much better than
either the Xchips server or the Xvesa server on my hardware. Using the
Xfbdev server requires making the framebuffer device available at boot
time. I do it by adding vga=788 (for 800x600) to lilo.conf.

If anyone needs help getting this working, just yell, and I'll do what I
can. I'll post the source package and a link shortly.