[Rule-list] links web browser [not lynx] has text & graphics versions

Eugene Wong disposable_eugene at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 28 04:17:38 EET 2002

>From: Marco Fioretti <m.fioretti at inwind.it>
>
>On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 15:57:32 at 03:57:32PM -0800, Eugene Wong wrote:
<snip>
> > I'm quite excited about this. Be sure to let me know what you think.
>
>It is going to be an interesting fight.
<snip>

Why do you say that?

>I hope to update sometime this week the browser page
>
>www.rule-project.org/en/docs/web_surfing.php
>
>with the "browser use cases" table discussed here with Liam some days
>ago.

I must have missed that discussion. I don't recall it at all.

>Eugene, may I ask you, as a contribution to that page, to investigate
>how the w3m and links RPM coming with Psyche compare in terms of
>
>	disk, RAM and dependency needs
>	but, above all to investigate features (Javascript?Frames?
>	Tables?whatever) and easy integration with other
>	programs (= mail/ftp/agents like wget and curl)

I don't understand this "Psyche" that you speak of. Clarification?

The disk, & dependency needs are after my signatures. However, I'm not sure
how much RAM is used by these apps. Suggestions?

JavaScript, frames, & tables seem to be handled quite well by all of them,
if I understand correctly.

Oddly enough, I stumbled onto another requirement that may interest you:
cookies. I had not even considered them, because I took it for granted.

lynx has the advantage of better Asian language support than all others,
from what I understand.

links & elinks have better support of some Netscape plugins. I was surprised
to read that. elinks developers intend to add css support in the future.
Both support mime types. links doesn't handle cookies, while elinks
[enhanced links] does. Unfortunately, the elinks project doesn't seem to
hand out rpms. It's too bad, that links & elinks are bigger in binary sizes,
because I like the way that links works. It seems to have the best interface
out of all other text based, & graphic based browsers.

w3m has the advantage of being the smallest, & having cookie support.

I'm not sure which browsers allow for the running of scripts to support
certain files under certain conditions.

>	Thank you in advance,

You're welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help. I like the RULE project.

My overall suggestion is to have the RULE project recommend w3m, for now. As
elinks becomes more featureful [has css & distributes rpms], then I'd
recommend that instead. But no matter what, I'd recommend displaying a list
of advantages of each browser on this page:

http://www.rule-project.org/en/docs/web_surfing.php

With all the information that I've shared with you all, the RULE users
should be able to make an informed choice for themselves.

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong

/usr/bin/w3m 470136

DEPEND="ssl? ( >=dev-libs/openssl-0.9.6b )
	gpm? ( >=sys-libs/gpm-1.19.3-r5 )
	>=sys-libs/ncurses-5.2-r3
	imlib? ( >=media-libs/imlib-1.9.8 )
	>=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.3-r2"

/usr/bin/links 22901164

DEPEND="ssl? ( >=dev-libs/openssl-0.9.6c )
	gpm? ( sys-libs/gpm )
	java? ( >=sys-devel/flex-2.5.4a )
	png? ( >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.1 )
	jpeg? ( >=media-libs/jpeg-6b )
	tiff? ( >=media-libs/tiff-3.5.7 )
	svga? ( >=media-libs/svgalib-1.4.3 >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.1 )
	X? ( virtual/x11 >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.1 )
	fbcon? ( >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.1 )"