[Rule-list] script to uninstall rpms and change config files

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Thu Nov 28 23:54:01 EET 2002

Eugene Wong wrote:

> 1 important thing that this is supposed to do is allow the
> installation scripts to have a broad range of rpms to install, to
> ensure that the completed installation will work, without worrying
> about bloat. In other words, Slinky & Miniconda, can install many
> programs to ensure that the user can surf the Internet, email, etc.,
> & this can remove files according to the user's preferences.

Hmmmm... While this is a very nice thing to have for a regular Linux
installation, I'm not sure if this is the right way for RULE: The main
target for RULE are old and small computers, so Miniconda and Slinky
should only install packages which are absolutely necessary, because
there might be not enough space for anything else... Don't understand me
wrong, I'm not against your script idea (on the contrary!) but against
that you propose to let Miniconda and Slinky install anything that is
not absolutely necessary! Of course there can be additional "bloat"
collections of RPMs to select during install, and for weeding out
unnecessary stuff there your script idea is of excellent use!

> For the list of packages to uninstall, I would list all of the
> packages listed in the installation scripts. It's not as if they
> would need them all, but I would like to list them for the sake of
> completeness.

Agreed. Let the user decide. But this implies that your script needs
either to be "married" with the installer (to get all the actually
installed RPMs into the config file), or to make a search after install
like `rpm -qa` to populate the config file after install.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/