[Rule-list] yet more script ideas

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sat Nov 30 10:21:10 EET 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 23:46:41 at 11:46:41PM -0800, Eugene Wong  disposable_eugene at hotmail.com  wrote:

> *** Install Red Hat From Source rpms ***

I had never heard of tinycc before. It is definitely something to propose
to expert users (I'll do add it to the SW map) but for *special* cases
At the very minimum we must write *really* big that is not a good
thing to use it for packages to be distributed, or that it might just
not work when linking libraries and such made with standard compilers.
Probably a VERY useful setting for it is school labs, so students can learn real
programming on weak computers. Richard (Kweskin), what do you think?
can you try it in your school lab sometime?

> *** idlecron To Do a List of Tasks For When You Know the Computer is Idle
> ***

I'm not sure if cron really consumes those many resources by itself.
It's the processes it calls that are heavy, especially those at late
night: there have been reports of users working at their keyboard at 4:00 AM
almost blocked when cron called updatedb and similar stuff, but only
then. Also, in many cases what you suggest can probably be
accomplished by the "at" command.