[Rule-list] Web site structure, was: I need Slinky. Where is it?

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Tue Dec 3 02:45:45 EET 2002

Marco Fioretti wrote:

> a) ALL software produced for RULE (miniconda, slinky...) or from 3rd
>    parties, but useful for the project has an entry in the MySQL
>    database, listing home page, source, RPM, memory requirements,
>    dependencies, and whatever else we want to add.
>    Right now data can only be entered by the administrative
>    interface, I'm studying some mechanism where everybody can submit
>    entries via a web form, they go by email to me and/or this list so
>    it can be checked if it is complete and actually interesting for
>    RULE, then I add it to the database.

Easy: Add a flag column to the database. If a new record is enetered,
set the flag to U (unreviewed), and let the script send a mail to a
mailing list (I think it should be a special mailing list). When the
database is queried, only records with other flags should be shown. When
the new entry is reviewed, the flag can be set to another value, like A
(accepted), or D (denied). To regular users, only A records should be
shown. To let a list member accept or refuse a new entry, let the script
include two links to a small script that alters the flag. Just click on
the appropriate link to accept or deny the entry...

> c) packages by third parties are simply pointed from from MySQL
>    database. If somebody else already does it, why duplicate? For
>    example, a blackbox RPM for psyche is already on freshrpms.net

Absolutely. Saves us bandwidth, too! But we need a script to regularly
check if the links are still valid. Could be run weekly by cron...

> d) Packages that we maintain/provide (slinky, DAn, popfilter,
>    kdrive..) should have one home page each in
>    www.rule-project.org/en/sw/ This page would list alternate FTP
>    server, links to specific documentation, how to contact the
>    maintainer...., and would be reachable from sw/index.php: remember
>    that that page will offer search options too: latest 5, only
>    window managers, whatever

Again, these links should be regularly checked by a script as above.

> Of course, any critique/suggestion to the above structure
> is welcome, but, as far as I am concerned:

The stucture makes perfectly sense.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/