[Rule-list] slinky-v0.3.4

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Mon Dec 9 03:49:12 EET 2002

On Sunday 08 December 2002 06:04 pm, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 03:31:23 at 03:31:23AM -0500, Michael Fratoni

> > New slinky version available. Several fixes and hopefully
> > improvements as well.
> > On my server, as well as: (ISO is only available on savannah)
> > http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/slinky/slinky-v0.3.4/

> Michael, you said it shouldn't touch other partitions, right? It has
> / on /dev/hda3 type ext3
> and WinNT (which I need to not touch)  on /dev/hda1 type vfat

The installer no longer formats anything without asking first. Only drives
you define as included should be used. You need at least a swap and a /
partition. You can also edit the included slinky.config.sample file (in
/scripts after booting) and define which drives/partitions to use. You
will be prompted to enter the mount point, and then to allow or disallow
formatting. That said.....
I haven't done any testing on a machine with a windows partition. ;)

It should be ignored, only linux partition types are searched for. Your
existing linux partition will be seen. If you don't want to install over
your existing partition, just hit enter when prompted for a mount point,
and it will be ignored.

> In other words, I need to leave partitions as they are, can
> erase/reformat / but not /dos/ (even if I *am* backing up that too,
> so, apart from having wife yelling at me until I restore it, nothing
> unrecoverable will happen :-) )

Shouldn't be a problem, your wife should still be talking to you when the
install is finished. ;)

If you install lilo on the MBR, you'll need to manually add the dos stanza
and rerun lilo. If you don't want lilo on the MBR, say no when prompted,
and install/configure your boot loader of choice.

> One last question on the new ISO: it has stock Xfree, right? not the
> kdrive you worked on?

The ISO contains only the installer scripts, a full set of kernel modules,
the installer's / filesystem and the i386 kernel package. Everything else
is obtained from the Red Hat cds.

Once I'm happy with the kdrive rpms, I'll add them to the ISO, as well as
a few of the small window managers. At that time, I'll also add a package
group that includes them to the installer.

I'm going to try my hand at breaking the rule software database later
tonight. I'll try to get the available packages and some info available
via the RULE site.