[RULE] Re: Off Topic Question

Raymundo Baquirin rayb at apc.edu.ph
Thu Dec 12 15:55:25 EET 2002

> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:48:12 -0800
> From: "Joe Sprankle" <joes at primarycolor.com>
> To: <rule-list at nongnu.org>
> Subject: [RULE] Off Topic Question
> Message: 1

> ------=_NextPart_000_0039_01C2A031.40C6B080
>
> Sorry for the off topic question but this is the one place I figured I =
> could get a good answer due to the expertise in the redhat install =
> process.
> I am trying to install RedHat on a laptop with no floppy or CDROM. It =
> currently runs slackware which I installed from a PCMCIA CDROM. I no =
> longer have acess to that drive. Is there a way I could copy the RH =
> files to a seperate partition on my hard drive, and set lilo to boot =
> from there? If so what should the lilo entry look like?
> Any ideas would be appreciated, if this is to off topic please ignore =
> me.
> joe
I've done this a few times except I don't use lilo.  Instead I use loadlin
(or linld for 2.4 kernels) to boot vmlinuz and point it to an initrd and/or
root file system.  The necessary files all reside in the windows or dos
partition. If you want to look into this, there are details of the process in
a couple of my posts to this list (one of them quite recent).

HTH,

Ray