[RULE] About fonts and standards, was: introduction

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Thu Dec 19 06:48:49 EET 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 18:06:21 at 06:06:21PM +0300, Vadim Plessky  plessky at cnt.ru  wrote:
> So, I have a chance to work on fonts & icons (and those are two areas where
> Linux/*BSD should improve, IMHO).
[snip]
> where I am competent and feel myself "at home". Linux obviously miss
> good-quality, *free* fonts, and Linux Desktop can't succeed without such
> fonts.

Agreed! This obviously also makes me ask you: what do you think we
should do, from the fonts point of view, to increase speed, reduce
RAM needs, and still keep a desktop which, while probably not good
looking and flexible as stock KDE/Gnome, is still not a pain to look
at, and also easy to live with for users of non english alphabet?

I refer to fonts choice and system-wide configuration, choice of good
(from this point of view) applications, etc...

Another thing about fonts: some times ago I forwarded here a request
from the Ganesha project (www.ganesha-project.org): they install
junkyard PCs in Nepal schools, and were looking for a Free Nepali
font (look in Rule archives of Nov/Dec 2002): any suggestions from
them, or pointers different from those posted here by Michael?

> I think some of you would be interested to join XDG mailing list
> (<xdg-list at freedesktop.org>, archives at:
> <https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/> )
>
> There is a very good, and coinstructive work on that list to make GNOME, KDE
> and ROX (file manager) inter-operable.

> I hope Mozilla and OO would start to work togther with XDG guys (which are
> developers of GNOME, KDE and ROX), and this would result in better
> compatibility, and lower memory usage, for those apps/environments.

I have started to look into the XDG work, also to prepare the followup
to the "Hooray for Bluecurve" article which made us meet. I already
knew that ROX supports that, and it was indeed one of the reasons why
I did suggest it for RULE. I agree that the freedesktop.org is an
excellent way to achieve interoperability even when not using the most
popular desktop as they are. As far as OOo and MOzilla are concerned,
they do remain a major PITA from that point of view, but probably most
of it is due to the fact that they where built to compile also on
Windows, and consequently have a *lot* of extra issues to consider.