[RULE] fonts & font formats

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Fri Dec 20 03:31:31 EET 2002

Vadim Plessky wrote:

> The right way to go is PostScript Type1 fonts, with path for
> migration to OpenType (Adobe CFF/type2) fonts formta in the future.
> Believe me, I have tested different formats, and OpenType *with Adobe
> CFF/type 2* outlines (do not mix it with TrueType fonts bumdled with
> OpenType layout tables) has most compact font size (reduction can be
> up to 50%, comparing to TrueType outline!) and excellent hinting
> model (derived from PS Type 1 fonts)

While I trust your opinion on font types (I know not much about them, I
just use them and have rather detailed plans for my own font), I see one
possible concern: I would like to create a font that's both scalable (so
I don't have to create it for all possible sizes) and usable on a wide
variety of operating systems (especially Linux, Solaris, IRIX and
Windows, maybe MacOS). TrueType will do that, while PS Type 1 is not
scalable, no idea yet about OpenType. I'll have to look into it...

> As about tools: I started about 1.5 years ago with FontLab, but later
> migrated to PfaEdit (http://pfaedit.sourceforge.net)
> George Williams (PfaEdit author) was very kind to offer his support
> & fix many *major* bugs, and I think currnet PfaEdit is in quite
> usable state.

Thank you very much! I'll try it as soon as I can spare some time.

Thanks a lot!
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/