[RULE] Install report for slinky 0.3.4

Marco Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sat Dec 21 01:07:13 EET 2002

Thanks for the explanations Michael. Specific comments below.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 23:24:54 at 11:24:54PM -0500, Michael Fratoni  mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net  wrote:

> > Notes: it installs kerberos, openldap, cyrus-sasl: are they needed?
>
> To meet dependencies in the Red Hat packages, yes.

I didn't make myself clear here: what I meant is if they were needed
and added in the base install, or if they came in as a consequence of
the extra options I choose.

> > Minor inconvenient: this is probably a fault of my laptop, not of the
> > installer, but since it was doing fine, I switched to my desktop to
> > write this report and read email. When I looked again at the laptop,
> > the screen was black.

I forgot (IIRC, not connected now) to mention another minor issue I
discovered because of this. Since I hit enter without inserting a
cdrom the installer stopped and told me to put it in, switch console
and mount it manually, which is perfectly clear and correct. So I
dumbly went to 2nd console, typed the standard "mount -t iso9660
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" and was told that there is no such device. The
right device, of course, would have been /dev/hdb (in *my* case*).
cdrom, floppy and friends are created as links later. Not in our case,
however: the /dev directory contains (among others) the links
/dev/modem and /dev/mouse, but not those to cdrom and floppy. Who does
create them in standard install? If it's too heavy to add it, just
documenting it is fine.

> > Note: at boot, the start up sequence includes sendmail, even if I
> > didn't choose it
>
> Some packages are added automatically based on your package selections.
> Sendmail is required by the web_tools package to meet dependencies. Mutt
> and fetchmail both have a dependency on "smtpdaemon". We could add the
> option of disabling sendmail startup to the scripts.

No, probably not necessary. If one has chosen mutt and fetchmail he
also needs an smtp server, I should have realized it right there.
Probably it is more efficient to figure out how to speed it up (the
question "my boot process stops for seconds/minutes when it comes to
start sendmail" is almost a FAQ on RH lists)

Final note: Michael, please look at the README file, and let me know
if and when I can add it to the website as ufficial documentation

	Ciao,
		Marco