[RULE] fonts & font formats

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sat Dec 21 04:11:31 EET 2002

Vadim Plessky wrote:

> On Friday 20 December 2002 04:31, Martin Stricker wrote:

> |  TrueType will do that, while PS Type 1 is not
> |  scalable, no idea yet about OpenType. I'll have to look into it...
>
> PS Type1 is *scalable*!  Check http://www.adobe.com
> PS Type 3 font can be scalable, or it can contain embedded bitmaps as
> well. (but most PS Type3 fonts are scalable, too)
> OpenType fonts exist in two instances:  based on TrueType outlines
> and on PS Type1 outlines.

I stand corrected! I feel stupid now... ;-)) So now I looked into the
Win2k help (I should have done before!) and found out that PostScript
Type 1 and TrueType belong to the same class of fonts (and Win2k
supports OpenType, both TrueType and Type 1 outlines, all the included
fonts are TrueType/OpenType), and the fonts I thought were PostScript
fonts are actually bitmap fonts (*.fon). Silly me!

So I go with your recommendation and will try to create OpenType/PS Type
1 fonts.

> What you can try to do is to get one font (say, Arial TTF or Nimbus
> Sans from URW-fonts), load it into PfaEdit and *export* it to
> different formats.

Actually, this is kinda what I would like to do. Years ago I found a
font thet I really like (Bell MT), but I would like to enhance it a bit,
some letters are not nice enough, and the numbers are of completely
different style, they don't fit with the font. I will try PfaEdit as
soon as I find the time (hopefully during the christmas vacation).

Again many thanks to you, Vadim! You teached me a lot, but now I see I
still have very much to learn about fonts. Oh well, if it were easy,
everyone could do it! *LOL*

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/