[RULE] Success Finally!

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Sun Dec 22 03:24:25 EET 2002

aa1rb1 at juno.com wrote:

> Guys this is Jim, I joined the list a year ago.
> I have a Compaq Deskpro 2000, originally 32 Meg of ram and
> built in video controller (1 meg of memory) and a 6 Gig hard drive.
>
> I would always get Signal 11, 7 or 2 errors when installing
> the operating system. Or the PC would just hang or give
> some strange error message. I even tried installing 128 meg of ram,
> still no success.

> I could install Red Hat 7.1, or Mandrake 7.2. However I could never
> install anything
> newer than those versions.
>
> Recently I tried installing a PCI 16 megabyte video card in one of
> the pci slots.
> I disabled the embedded 1 megabyte video controller in the Compaq
> motherboard,

> SUCCESS! It installed without any problems

> My question is "why would the embedded video controller cause
> installation problems?
> Could it be the memory was not enough? Or is there some other
> explanation?

Theoretically two possible explanations:
1) The onboard video chip is no longer supported by the distros ==> no
driver, no joy. Look into the supported hardware lists for the various
distros (you didn't tell us which chip!)
2) The onboard video chip tries to use some of the system's RAM for
itself, and thus gets into the way of the kernel.

I think it's 1), because it worked in older versions. It seems that
support for the old chip has been dropped.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 7.3 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/