[RULE] Slinky worked!

Michael Fratoni mfratoni at tuxfan.homeip.net
Thu Jan 9 03:51:11 EET 2003

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 04:57 pm, chris at baidarka.net wrote:

> I _did_ have a problem with the setup.sh script - it failed to load the
> kernel package because its guess of package name for 7.3 was wrong.  It
> uses uname to find the arch (i586 in my case), but there's no rpm in
> 7.3 named "kernel-2.4.18-3.i586.rpm".  There's an smp i586...

Damn! I forgot about the lack of a i586 for 7.3 when I was doing the
kernel version/arch checks. Thanks for pointing it out. I added all of
that when 8.0 was released without an i386 kernel package.

> Now if I could only get X running ("chips" driver hangs on startx).  I
> don't have much memory left.  Maybe someone could recommend either some
> memory-saving tips, or a small version of X?

Have you already installed the stock XFree86 packages? If so, I can
provide a small server binary from the kdrive package.
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/XFree86/kdrive

There are 10 servers:
Xchips  Xfbdev  Xi810  Xigs  Xmach64  Xsavage  Xsis530  Xtrident  Xtrio
Xvesa

Grab a likely server, and put it in /usr/X11R6/bin, and chmod 4711 the
server binary. XFree servers must be installed suid root. The Xvesa
server should work with most hardware, as will Xfbdev. (You have to
enable the fb device at boot time.) The other card specific servers are
more of a shot in the dark. However, if they work, some of them do
provide hardware acceleration. I use the Xchips server on my toshiba
laptop with a C&T HIQV32 (CT65550) video device.

Also in the kdrive directory are:
A modified version of the startx command for the kdrive servers.
Put it in /usr/X11R6/bin, and create a link, like so:
cd /usr/X11R6/bin ; ln -s ${server} X
Where ${server} is the name of the server binary.

The modification made to the startx is the addition of:
defaultserverargs="-screen 800x600x24 -2button"

Which defines the resolution/color depth, and tells the server I have a 2
button mouse. (So that it emulates a 3 button mouse.)

Also available is xinitrc, copy it to your home directory as .xinitrc, and
edit to start whatever window manage you want to use. Currently, it looks
like:
# cat xinitrc
# exec /usr/bin/openbox
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/fluxbox
# exec /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep
# exec /usr/bin/uwm

If you want to build a minimal XFree86 with kdrive yourself:
http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/rule/XFree86/XFree86-4.2.1-9RULE.nosrc.rpm
You'll need the source from:
ftp://xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.2.0/source/
(The rpm build script will patch it to 4.2.1)

A few small window manager RPMS  are also in the XFree86/ directory.