[RULE] About standalone KDE apps, was:kmail and kppp

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Sat Jan 18 10:59:46 EET 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 23:16:52 at 11:16:52PM -0500, Kweskin Richard  rkwesk at mail.ariadne-t.gr  wrote:
> Hello All
>
> For the first? time Redhat have packaged kmail and kppp separately on their
> own. I used to look for kdenetwork to get these.

This is good news, I had not realized it yet. There are a lot of
programs like these (the Konqueror browser comes to mind) that would
probably be much lighter on resources in and of themselves. The
problem (and one of the reasons why it doesn't really matter what the
default distro for RULE is) is the fact that they almost always come
in much heavier bundles, with things not needed, and/or compiled with
every possible option known to man.

RULE-wise, I see two goals from this point of view (but not the time
yet to them myself, :-( ):

1) Learn/discover how one compile these apps from source with the bare
minimum of libraries/components/fundamental options (and document them
for the users of all distros, of course): as far as I remember, Vadim
Plessky is the one list member with the more expertise on this.

2) Package the result as RPM for use in our ISOs, or just as
downloadable, standalone packages from the web site.

Last but not least: I got this a couple of weeks ago, but forgot to
forward it:

people
who would only complain (or other similar things that wouldn't result
in
something useful). In other words, this list is for developers, who
are
willing to actively work on optimizing KDE, or who have the knowledge
to help
others with doing so (I guess that means you can also try your luck if
you
need to advice with optimizing your app)

	Ciao
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. -- Pablo
Picasso