[RULE] Introduction.

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Mon Jan 20 22:43:14 EET 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 11:22:47 at 11:22:47AM +0100, Vegard Munthe  vegard at copyleft.no  wrote:
> then I read about RULE. Just the project I was wishing for. And it has an
> ISO that works! :)
>
> Which brings me here.
>
> First of all I'd like to thank the members of this project for a good idea
> and hard work. If we can bring this project towards its goal, the benefits
> for communities around the world will be staggering. Already there are
> large projects in motion to make computer based education programs for
> children in developing countries. All they lack are the computers and the
> software platform.
>
> Here's were you come in. I wish to promote RULE as the defacto computer
> recycling distribution option. I wish to collect resources to help guide
> and finance further work on this project. I wish to participate as much as
> I can to help RULE establish itself as a mainstream distribution option.

Vegard,

as I had already told you privately, thanks a lot for your interest,
and, of course, welcome to the project!

We do need more people working on this, and for exactly the reasons
that you mention. The fact that the project is one really good hack in
and of itself is enough reasons for many members to do it, but helping
somebody is great.

I'll have to wait one or more day before sending more detailed notes
on how FAIR could help RULE. In the meantime, if you didn't do it
already:

	many things are already here and there on the web site, they
        just need to be worked on regularly. Suggestions are welcome!

	reducing bloat while maintaining functionality means also to
	find automatically the smallest set of packages for any given
	set of tasks (email + text editing + ....), and find which
	package in a group carries the greatest additional weight (I
	refer to those programs lean and mean at first sight, but
	working only if you add loads of libraries not shared with other
	programs. In this context, one of the areas where I could
	really use some contribution even now is the DAn tool:

	http://www.rule-project.org/en/sw/dan.php

	Making it do all it's supposed to do would make a lot of our
	other work easier.

Feel free to ask/nitpick/suggest at will, either here or privately to
me. The more the better.
Marco Fioretti                 mfioretti
Red Hat for low memory         www.rule-project.org

According to one popular definition, craziness is doing the same thing
over and over but expecting different results.