[RULE] Boot-floppy detect (and introduction)

John Murray pursang at netwit.net.au
Wed Jan 22 00:12:15 EET 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 05:45, Vegard Munthe wrote:

> This is not a RULE topic, but I'm asking in case someone here already has
> what I'm looking for. (Sorry if you take offence, but I'm desperate)
>
> A large problem with collecting used hardware for redistribution to
> developing countries is to register and test the equipment. In this regard
> I used a little time trying to compile libdetect[0] for inclusion on Toms
> Root Boot, without success. Then I tryed compiling libdetect with
> dietlibc[1], without success.
>
> What I need is a bootfloppy that detects the hardware (dmesg from a large
> kernel is not enough, need videocard etc). Software that does this
> successfully that I know of is detect (from libdetect) and kudzu.
>
> I don't have any more time to devote to this problem for the next four
> months, but I have around $100 to spend on getting it done. :) We receive
> about 200 PCs per month, and those collectiing them are
> computer-illiterates, i.e. this floppy is imperative for successfull
> registration of the equipment. Is there anyone here who knows of a good
> solution, or who could make one? GNU/Linux floppyboots have always been
> black-magic, so $100 isn't much, but its all I can spare to show I'm
> serious.
>
> Regards,
> Vegard Munthe

Hi all,
I'm also new to this project. My coding skills are pretty weak, but I'm
hoping to help out with some documentation etc.
Vegard, have you looked at any of the DOS based utilities? Try
http://www.simtel.net/pub/msdos/sysinfo/
Yeah, I know this is a Linux list, but I have an old 486 w/ 8meg RAM
that I still use occasionally running DRDOS, it does everything I need
to do (web and email with Arachne, editor etc) and it runs as quickly
as  many modern machines with newer OS/software. It will be interesting
to see how the RULE setup runs on this box...

Cheers
John

http://users.netwit.net.au/~pursang/